“Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing on one’s own sunshine.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
In this chapter we “bring it all home” by looking at the ideas discussed throughout the book and applying them to the quality of life in towns and cities of my home region of New England. It’s exciting for me; every part of the region is so different but still there are steps forward we can take that are good for everyone.
- Are there any “rail trails” near your hometown? Have you been on one?
- Is it exciting for you to imagine connecting the network of bike paths and rail trails into a New England network?
- What is one way to build bike paths much more cost-effectively?
- What do you think of the Safe Routes Brattleboro story? Could this model be imitated in rural Massachusetts?
- Is table 9.4 helpful?
- Do you think the “roommate pooling” model can help struggling young people?
- Were any of the points on health care and wellness new or interesting?
- Which “Health Care Course” do you like? Which would you take if you had the option?
- What do you think of the idea that Massachusetts college classes study and ways to secure Social Security? Is this realistic or feasible?
- What do you think are the best ways that the Massachusetts media can support public well-being?